Currently Action Menu Items allow to open a new browser window (or trigger an external protocol handler)
Opening a new window with the custom HTTP url works fine in many cases but it also takes users out of their current context and gives the impression of calling an external and somewhat disconnected, separate application.
What would be great to add is the ability to open a modal or floating in page pop-up window.
In page pop-ups provide an integrated, seamless, context aware user experience and are already used all over shotgun.
Being able to create them via AMIs would mean there is no visible difference between custom and native shotgun in page pop-ups.
Especially if we are reusing the official shotgun CSS to style our pop-up form.
The already existing "Poll for Data Updates" feature allows for a full round trip experience with a native feel:
..the user selects a row, calls the pop-up, the pop-up code changes the values of the selected row and shotgun displays it immediately.
--- Use cases:
- pop-up to allow time logging to external time card application for selected task/ticket
- pop-up allowing user to set options before triggering for example an external transfer request
- pop-up with customized in house version creation dialog
- pop-up to duplicated the selected tasks in another shot with automatic re-linking / renaming
- pop-up with a complex time code calculator which will update the time code on the current row when ok is pressed
- In v2 ActionMenuItems could be registered to overwrite the default entity new dialogs. this would allow creating custom "new version", "new timelog" dialogs
In a nutshell custom in page pop-ups open the door to extend shotgun in many exciting and creative ways and provide a better user experience!
Do you have more use cases? Please share!
Do you want to see it in shotgun? Please vote under "Me too!"