Shotgun Engine for VRED
Shotgun Integration for VRED
- Information for App Developers - VRED Project Management
- Installation and Updates - Adding This Engine to the Shotgun Pipeline Toolkit
- Installation and Updates - Updating to the Latest Version
- Release Notes
The Shotgun Engine for VRED creates a bridge between the Shotgun Pipeline Toolkit apps and VRED. Write apps using Python to run right inside the engine.
Supported Application Versions
This item has been tested and is known to be working on the following application version: 2020. Please note that it is possible, even likely, to work with some older releases; however, it has not been formally tested with these versions.
Shotgun Engine for VRED Documentation
The Shotgun Engine for VRED contains a standard platform for integrating Shotgun Apps into VRED. It is lightweight, straight forward, and adds a Shotgun menu to the VRED menu bar.
- For documentation specific to Shotgun integration with VRED, see Working with Shotgun in the VRED online help.
- For general documentation on Shotgun's Automotive Design Studio Components, see Introduction.
Information for App Developer - VRED Project Management
Whenever the Shotgun Engine for VRED starts, it will set the VRED Project to point at a location defined in the engine settings. This means the project can also change when a new file is opened. The details relating to how the VRED project is set, based on a file, can be configured in the configuration file, using the template system.
Installation of the Shotgun Engine for VRED follows the same protocol as the other Shotgun integrations. For information on installing engines and apps, see the Administering Toolkit article. In addition, you can reference the default toolkit config as an example of how to configure the integration.
Installation and Updates - Updating to the Latest Version
If this item is already installed in a project and you want the latest version, run the
update command. You can navigate to the tank command for that specific project and run it there:
> cd /my_tank_configs/project_xyz > ./tank updates
Alternatively, you can run your studio
tank command and specify the project name to indicate which project to run the update check for:
> tank Project XYZ updates
Collaboration and Evolution
If you have access to the Shotgun Pipeline Toolkit, you also have access to the source code for all apps, engines, and frameworks in GitHub, where they are stored and managed. Feel free to evolve these; use them as a base for further independent development, make changes (and submit pull requests back to us!), or simply tinker with them to see how they have been built and how the toolkit works. Access this code repository at https://github.com/shotgunsoftware/tk-vred.
Below is a summary of all the configuration settings used. These settings need to be defined in the environment file where you want to enable this App or Engine.
Description: This template is for setting the initial render file path.
Description: Hook to customize behaviour on file change and file close.
Welcome to the release notes for this Engine. Below you will find an overview of all the changes we did for each release. We try to be as detailed as possible and include all bugs we have fixed, features we have added and things that may have changed. If you have questions about a particular release, don't hesitate to contact our support team!
Fixed a bug with the plugin in 2020.2. VRED was crashing in the launch step because the engine was starting before the bootstrap process had completed.
Fixed a bug with Shotgun menu. It was not loading when VRED language was switched to Japanese/Chinese.
Overall cleanup of the engine code to maintain toolkit standards and make public.
- Make tk-framework-locking an optional dependency
- Removed the about app and created software_credits files in each app/engine/framework repo
- Change hooks from tk-multi-breakdown, tk-multi-loader2, tk-multi-snapshot, tk-multi-workfiles2 and tk-multi-shotgunpanel to match existing Shotgun tk-default-config2 hook structure
- Remove unnecessary code in hooks
- Add custom exception for errors
- Move common operations from engine to tk_vred/operations.py
- Implemented dynamic Shotgun menu loading
- Improved popup notification when loading in multiple files from the Loader
- Removed vred_bootstrap.py and migrated all requirements (ex. SHOTGUN_ENABLE, VRED_SCRIPT_PLUGINS) to startup.py script
- Remove the unnecessary pyside folder from resources
- Replace tank command with the newer sgtk command
- Move icons to an official icons folder
- Replace product token with code_name token
- Add sg_uploaded_movie for each Version from Publisher via VRED
- Remove hard coded path for VRED to access LMV translator
Fixed a bug where if you created a scene from a CustomEntity, the Shotgun components would not load correctly.
June 17 2019
Reimplemented get_references command in Scene Breakdown
Improved collector code in Publish to clean up debugging messages