Shotgun Engine for Alias
Shotgun Integration in Alias
- Information for App Developers - Alias Project Management
- Installation and Updates - Adding This Engine to the Shotgun Pipeline Toolkit
- Installation and Updates - Updating to the Latest Version
- Release Notes
The Shotgun Engine for Alias creates a bridge between the Shotgun Pipeline Toolkit apps and Alias. Write apps using Python to run right inside the engine.
Supported Application Versions
This item has been tested and is known to be working on the following application version: 2019 and 2020. Please note that it is possible, even likely, to work with some older releases; however, it has not been formally tested with these versions.
Shotgun Engine for Alias Documentation
The Shotgun Engine for Alias contains a standard platform for integrating Shotgun Apps into Alias. It is lightweight, straight forward, and adds a Shotgun menu to the Alias menu bar.
- For documentation specific to Shotgun integration with Alias, see Working with Shotgun.
- For general documentation on Shotgun's Automotive Design Studio Components, see Introduction.
Information for App Developer - Alias Project Management
Whenever the Shotgun Engine for Alias starts, it will set the Alias Project to point at a location defined in the engine settings. This means the Project can also change when a new file is opened. The details relating to how the Alias project is set, based on a file, can be configured in the configuration file, using the template system.
Installation of the Shotgun Engine for Alias follows the same protocol as the other Shotgun integrations. For information on installing engines and apps, see the Administering Toolkit article. In addition, you can reference the default toolkit config as an example of how to configure the integration.
Installation and Updates - Updating to the Latest Version
If this item is already installed in a project and you want the latest version, run the
update command. You can navigate to the tank command for that specific project and run it there:
> cd /my_tank_configs/project_xyz > ./tank updates
Alternatively, you can run your studio
tank command and specify the project name to indicate which project to run the update check for:
> tank Project XYZ updates
Collaboration and Evolution
If you have access to the Shotgun Pipeline Toolkit, you also have access to the source code for all apps, engines, and frameworks in GitHub, where they are stored and managed. Feel free to evolve these; use them as a base for further independent development, make changes (and submit pull requests back to us!), or simply tinker with them to see how they have been built and how the toolkit works. Access this code repository at https://github.com/shotgunsoftware/tk-alias.
Below is a summary of all the configuration settings used. These settings need to be defined in the environment file where you want to enable this App or Engine.
Description: Template to use to determine where to set the Alias project location. This should be a string specifying the template to use, but can also be empty, if you do not want the Alias project automatically set.
Description: Optionally choose to use 'Sgtk' as the primary menu name instead of 'Shotgun'.
Description: Controls the favorites section on the main menu. This is a list. Each menu item is a dictionary with two keys:
app_instance parameter connects this entry to a particular app instance defined in the environment configuration file. The
name is a menu name to make a favorite.
Description: Specify the minimum Application major version to prompt a warning if it isn't yet fully supported and tested with Toolkit. To disable the warning dialog for the version you are testing, set this value to the current major version + 1.
Description: Translator information.
Description: Controls whether debug messages should be emitted to the logger.
Description: Hook to customize behavior on file change and file close.
Welcome to the release notes for this Engine. Below you will find an overview of all the changes we did for each release. We try to be as detailed as possible and include all bugs we have fixed, features we have added and things that may have changed. If you have questions about a particular release, don't hesitate to contact our support team!
- Move the collector logic from tk-config to tk-alias engine
- Create the publish2 plugins to support Alias in tk-config-basic
- Fixed a bug related with context switching when the user wanted to save a file from outside of Shotgun.
Fixed a bug in the menu where snapshot and snapshot history were launching the same app.
Fixed a bug with the Alias plugin in new installations. This was occurring when python 2.7.X is not installed on the machine or the PATH environment variable doesn't contain a python executable folder.
With this major release we have added a new communication framework to improve the overall speed and resiliency between Alias and Shotgun. We have also addressed some cleanup and consistency with the rest of toolkit and fixed some customer bugs.
- Replaced Alias communication protocol with Shotgun using pybind11 library
- Remove dependency of tk-framework-atf
- Make tk-framework-locking an optional dependency
- Change hooks from tk-multi-breakdown, tk-multi-loader2, tk-multi-snapshot, tk-multi-workfiles2 and tk-multi-shotgunpanel to match existing Shotgun tk-default-config2 hook structure
- Removed the about app and created software_credits files in each app/engine/framework repo
- Cleanup messages in Publish logs while in DEBUG mode
- Add sg_uploaded_movie for each Version created from Alias Publish
- Modified WREF Publish Description in Publish hooks
- Remove "Screening Room..." options in Alias
- Improve Publish Hooks to support when publishing to a permission restricted directory
- Remove "Import into a New Scene" action in tk-multi-loader2
- Linked Task to Notes when publishing annotations and variants from Alias
- Improved popup notification when loading in files from the Loader
- Fixed some bugs related with the locking framework:
- Unable to save file to Shotgun after publishing
- Opening a file in Alias fails if using default file_usage_hook
Failed to Publish file with external references
- Failed to publish file with variants
- Failed to save file with external references
- Alias Alternatives don't update when updating a reference using the Scene Breakdown app
- Redraw Alias viewport when a "Scene Breakdown Update Selected" completes to show the changes
Removed calling base method accept in publish2 hooks that prevents displaying wrong messages about the file formats for publishing.
Added publish thumbnail to sg_upload_movie to make all versions reviewable in Overlay player
Initial release of Alias Engine