You can create separate Permission Groups for API users so that your scripts and keys can have different permission levels just like your People.
Accessing the API user page
- Go to your Admin Menu and select Permissions.
- In the browser, append #ApiUser (case sensitive) to the URL and hit enter.
- Do a hard refresh of the browser for the page to display.
You should now see a Permissions page for API users.
Refer to the Permissions page for usage.
How to use API user permission groups
Once you have created API permissions groups beyond the initial API Admin, you can use them for your API scripts.
- From the Admin menu, select "Scripts."
- Display the Permission Group column and select the appropriate Permission Group.
So why would you use this? There are many potential uses, but here are a couple to get you thinking:
Example 1: You want to give an API key to someone in your studio who should not have full Admin privileges.
Example 2: You want to give a read-only API key to a partner studio to perform a one-way sync from your Shotgun database to their Shotgun Database, and only expose a limited entity set.