Last updated on March 4, 2016
What is the Review Notes app?
The Review Notes app (formerly called the Notes App) is for super-fast note taking during review session. It allows you to quickly create Notes on Versions, pull up related information about the thing that's being reviewed, and distribute those notes to the studio when the review ends. Watch the video demo:
Launching Review Notes
Step 1: From the "Apps" menu, select Review Notes.
Step 2: In the new tab that opens, choose a Project, then a Playlist that you want to open. Or, create a new one by clicking the "New" button to the right.
Step 3: Take Notes. We save your Notes in the background, so don't worry about losing them!
The Left Pane
The Left Pane is where you'll enter all of your Notes on each Version. Each text box represents a Note you're taking on the Version. You can rearrange the order of the Versions by dragging a Version's top left corner.
- Add Version: Click this button to add existing Version(s) to the Playlist and they'll appear in Review Notes right away. Great for last minute submissions.
- Remove: Remove a Version from the Playlist along with any Notes you typed on it.
- Sort: Choose the field on Versions you want to sort by. By default, we'll sort using the "Sort Order" field in the Playlist. As you rearrange Versions in the Playlist the Playlist sort order keeps track of these values.
- Fields: Display any Field on the Version to the right of its thumbnail using this menu.
- Note Addressees: We'll list the names of all the people who will receive the Note. Click this area to add or remove people from the Note. Good for those private Notes for your eyes only.
- +: Add a new, separate Note to the Version
- Gear Menu: Send a Note now, clear a note, or remove the Version entirely
With Shotgun 6.3.11, you can now save fields which are exposed in the left pane. For example, you can add Status as a field. Once you have chosen Status under “More fields…” a yellow banner will appear at the top of the Note, giving you the option to save the layout or revert. When you save, the changes you made to the layout will affect all users of the app (e.g., anyone using Review Notes will see Status as one of the Note fields).
With Shotgun 6.3.14, you can now attach files in the Review Notes app. Click on the paperclip icon and select which files to attach.
After the files are selected, click the Attach button to add them to the Note (otherwise the attachments will not get uploaded to Shotgun).
Once the files are uploaded, you can choose to delete any attachments. However, if you already have at least one attachment, you will not be able to add any new attachments.
When you are ready, select “Preview and Publish.” You will see the attachments in your Note.
With Shotgun 6.3.14, you can also add Notes to send to multiple Versions at once. Select one or more Versions and then right click anywhere in the left pane (that is not on a field). Choose “Create New Note.”
This will launch a New Note dialog box that will display the selected Versions and the Tasks associated with the selected Versions. You can add or remove selected Versions in the Links box, and you can choose to either send 1 Note to all selected Versions or send duplicate Notes, with each Note linked to a selected Version.
After you create a Note, you will be able to see the Note on its respective detail page (Versions, Shots, Tasks, Playlist).
The Right Pane
The Right Pane is where you'll see all the information related to the Version and the thing you're reviewing (a Shot, Asset, etc). Our hope is that the notetaker is equipped to answer any question that comes up during the review, whether that's about a previous Version, Note, or the schedule.
- Upper Pane: You can expand/collapse the top panel by clicking the Version's thumbnail. You can also configure which fields show up here.
- Related Versions: Here you'll see all the previously submitted Versions on the thing you're reviewing. You can expand/collapse Notes on each Version, choose which types of Notes you display (open/closed/all/none), and add Fields, just like you can in the left pane.
- Related Notes: If you need a more detailed view of all of the Notes on the Shot/Asset/etc. You can group/sort the Notes however you'd like.
- Related Tasks: See the schedule for the thing you're reviewing (Tasks linked to the entity).
- Filter Panel: On any of these sections, you can click the magnifying glass to further refine the list of things you see.
Review Notes Layouts
We're sure many of you will begin to rely on the customizations you make to the Right Pane, so we've given you a tool to save and share those Layouts for you and the rest of the studio
Each time you change the layout, you'll have the option to "Save Changes to Current Layout" or "Save As New Layout'. This list is shared across the studio, so we recommend making a few different types of layouts for different types of reviews and departments using Review Notes.
Once you finish taking your Notes, highlight the notes you would like to send, and then click “Preview and Publish.”
You can choose to send your selected Notes or all Notes in the playlist.
You will then see a pop-up with your selected Notes. Here you can specify fields, and generate a summary email. To create a summary email, check the box and fill in the form to send one email to people, groups, or external email addresses. If you send your Notes out to clients after a review, this is going to save you tons of time.
Once you click “Send Notes,” Shotgun will create the Notes and email anyone they're addressed to.
After you publish your Notes, you will see confirmation that they were sent. You can then choose to go to the Playlist Detail Page or view a new page with the imported data.
If you chose to send a summary email, you will also have the option to view the email you just sent.
Ready to master the Review Notes app and become a power user? Get familiar with its keyboard shortcuts by pressing <command> + <?> on the Mac or <control> + <?> on Windows or clicking the link at the bottom of the RIght Pane: